Video demonstrating drone filming by Nam Wai resident Austen Wylde Stark
This video filmed with a DJI Phantom 4 drone was made by rising young star Austen Wylde Stark, a Nam Wai resident. Four years ago Austen undertook a practical film-making degree course in London. Since then the 24-year-old has compiled quite a list of credits:
- Work in a variety of roles on multiple Shaw Brothers titles, such as “Buddy Cop” starring Bosco Wong and “Triumph in the Skies”.
- Teaser trailer editing and colour grading on the still to be released from “Ultimate Justice”, a German action film. https://vimeo.com/158472480
- A Boxer Rex Tso featurette for Sports Illustrated Asia’s Channel.
- A tourism film for New Zealand’s Wairoa District Council.
- A week-long film workshop for students at KGV with Mike Leeder.
Austen hires himself out as a freelance videographer, drone pilot, colourist and editor, sometimes joining film-making teams as a subcontractor. He says his passion now is bringing his CAS film course to more schools in Hong Kong as well as abroad. It aims to bridge the gap between high school film making and media skills in the professional world. Students work with professionals of different skills and learn to become creators themselves. Austen is assisted by film veteran and Sai Kung resident Mike Leeder, who helped develop the course to teach youngsters the basics of short movie production and understanding of the film industry. Austen also has his sights on the big screen, “but one thing at a time,” he says.
Contrasting style: Music video by Austen for his brother’s band in Wairoa, New Zealand